Saturday, September 29, 2012

'Jarvis'- redesigned 90s pine!






Since starting Ziggy Sawdust, I have become a bit of a furniture snob. I like Scandinavian designs, walnut veneers, Queen Anne legs... and above all, things with a bit of character and charm!

One thing that does not fit into the above categories is pine. Pine is almost as bad as flat-packed in my books. It makes me react like the Wicked Witch of the West in a down-pour!

So you can imagine my reaction when my mother un-earthed the bashed up pine chest of drawers that has been living in our garage since it was removed from my childhood bedroom .. with it's orange-y varnish, knotted wood and a scratched surfaces, this was one piece of furniture that I wouldn't mind seeing in a skip!





But being lovers of the 'waste-not-want-not' mantra, my mum decided that she would like me to work some Ziggy magic on it and bring it back to life... I knew it wouldn't be an easy feat, but I decided to valiantly rise to the challenge and see what I could do...





So first things first, it was time to sand back all the varnish, scratches, permanent marker doodles and nail varnish stains. It seems I started my love for furniture redesigning at an early age!



 But with a bit of elbow grease, it was amazing how well the wood came up 




As good as new!





I cleaned, sanded, primed + painted my drawers!




Making progress!


And after lots of TLC, here is the finished article looking brand new! :





In turquoise, grey and violet/navy, this piece is masculine with a touch of feminine glamour... and seeing as my hero from the 90s is Jarvis Cocker from Pulp, it seems appropriate to name this piece 'Jarvis'!








No comments:

Post a Comment